Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What? I have a blog?

My last post on this good ole' blog was February 12th. More than 6 months ago. How pathetic am I? A lot has changed in those six months, the biggest change being that I am now pregnant (about five months along) with our second, and it's a little boy! My due date is Christmas Day. We're very excited.

The fact that I am pregnant is the very reason that I stopped blogging. I swear to you I had morning sickness from the moment I conceived, and for the first 12 weeks I was extremely nauseous and very tired, leaving me little motivation or desire to write any posts. So the first three months go by without writing anything here ...and then I sort of forgot about my little blog.
I want to get back into posting though, so I'm going to do my best to write on here a few times a week (ok, at least once a week). It's an exciting time in our lives right now and I want to be able to look back on it and remember all the little things.

I've been busy lately planning the decor of the nursery. Instead of buying new bumpers for the crib, I've decided to make my own. I'm hoping I don't regret this decision. With all of the design blogs I read on a daily basis, they've really inspired me to think out of the box a little bit with the nursery design. There are so many awesome nurseries I've seen posted lately, and I wanted to try my hand at mimicking them. What I've noticed about these rooms that makes a huge impact is that they all seem to use fabrics that aren't too cutesy or babyish, and they typically don't use bumpers that can be found at Baby's R Us and the like, they use regular fabric and make their own bumpers, pillows, curtains etc. So that is what I've decided to do. And I don't sew. I'm totally flying by the seat of my pants and trying to learn from as many tutorials as I can find on the internet.

Here's the fabric I picked out for the room:

The stripe will be one side of the bumper, and the diamond pattern on the back side. Then I am doing some piping on the top in the floral fabric, and the floral will also be the ties that attach the bumper to the crib. I am also using the floral fabric for drapes in the room (another thing I've never sewn before, ha!).

Right now I'm still in-process on this little (or for me, big) project, but I'll be sure to post photos once it's complete. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities here, but I just hope my lack of sewing skills doesn't completely ruin the idea I have in my head of how the room will turn out.

Anyway, sorry for my very long hiatus, and hopefully I'll be back soon with either the completed crib bumpers, or maybe some other projects I've completed in the last six months. Oh and maybe I'll decide to change out the picture in my header (or I could just wait a few months and it will be completely appropriate again :)

4 comments:

  1. How did I not know that you are pregnant?!? Well, congratulations!! I can't wait to see all of your projects completed! I am sure they will look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie! Somehow I missed this information too! Congratulations! Wow.. you are brave taking on that project with no sewing experience. I say that because I am a huge sewing chicken. ha! I love the fabrics and can't wait to see how it all turns out! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Julie! I am so very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Jamie! Sorry to hear about those first few months. :( Judging by your scrapbooking and crafting abilities, I think the sewing project is going to come out great!

    ReplyDelete