Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Crib Bumpers are Finished!

Well, here they are! I completed the crib bumpers last week, and we just put together the crib this weekend so I could see how they looked inside. I'm really happy with how they turned out, especially given my lack of sewing skills.
Here's a closer look at the fabric on the inside of the bumpers. I found all the fabric at Joann's - this stripe (and the diamond pattern on the outside of the bumpers) is from Nautica. I like the subtle change in blue color with every other stripe.
Here's a closer look at the piping. I had never done piping before, but found it not to be too difficult. My only struggle was trying to get the stitching as close to the cord as possible. I never got it as close as I'd prefer (I think they have special piping feet that can be used on the sewing maching for this purpose - I was just using a zipper foot), but I'm still happy with the result. This floral fabric is by Better Homes and Gardens. I'm going to be using it for the curtains in the room as well as in the crib skirt (which I kind of forgot I would have to make, and now need to go and get more fabric...oops!).

And here's a closeup of the ties. I think I had to make 32 of these total. The most time consuming part was turning them inside out after they were sewn. And getting them sewn into the bumper was more difficult as well, because it got pretty bulky when there were two ties, piping, plus the front and back fabric. I had to hand sew those parts, but it didn't really take me all that long to do.


I'm thrilled with how these turned out, and can't wait to get the crib skirt completed and curtains done as well (not sure when that will happen!), so the room will feel more complete. Then...it's on to painting the walls!

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive Jamie. You are so motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful! It is a great feeling to make something exactly the way YOU want it, not the way a store designs it.

    ReplyDelete