Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cupcake Pops

Abe turned 35 over the weekend. I wanted to make him a cake to celebrate, but he doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, so I knew if I made an entire cake it would go mostly uneaten (or alternatively, I would end up eating the majority of it). So, I decided these little cupcake pops would be the perfect solution. I only used 1/4 of a 13x9 cake, and froze the rest so I can make more cake pops for another occasion. It was just the right amount for a birthday treat, without having tons left over.

I got the idea and recipe for these from the Bakerella website, and just recently bought her new cookbook , which has tons of cute ideas for other types of cake pops that you can make. There's definitely a learning curve when making these. This was my first attempt, and the candy melts I used for the coating were a little thick. I tried thinning it with vegetable oil, as she suggests, but it didn't seem to help much. I'll have to try one of the other recommendations next time. I couldn't seem to get the top and bottom colors to meet in the middle very well, so on most of these there is some cake showing, which you're not really supposed to have.
But, even with their imperfections I thought they were still pretty cute, and best of all they tasted really good. Avery mostly liked the candy coating and left the cake part for us to finish off.
And here's just a goofy shot of Abe and Avery showing how much they enjoy their cake pops:

2 comments:

  1. I've made the cakepops several times and I keep thinking that the next time it will get easier, but that chocolate has become my nemesis. Kudos for trying the cupcakes pops, I think they are darling and I know what effort they were to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie...just curious, have you had issues with the chocolate being too thick too? Did you try to thin it out at all? Just wondering if you used either of the other two things she recommends for thinning (can't remember what they are right now), and if you had any luck with either of them. I need to get one of those edible markers, so I can try out some of the other ideas from the cookbook - might try the turkeys for Thanksgiving, or the reindeer for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete