Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Some pretty cloths for my baby to vomit on :)

Lots of kids grow attached to their blankies, and Avery is no different. Although, well, maybe a little different, in that she didn't get attached to a blankie but is instead attached to her burp cloths. She calls them her blankies, though. These are the burp cloths that we have been using since she was born, which are just the basic white cloth diapers that are found at any baby store. It has actually been a blessing that this is what she became attached to, because they aren't one of a kind, and can easily be replaced if we should ever lose them all.

The other day, when we were discussing the upcoming arrival of the newest member of our family, Avery said to me in a very sad voice, "the baby is going to take my blankies." So...I knew I would have to come up with an alternative burp cloth for child #2, so as not to have a constant battle with Avery over which were her blankies vs. her brother's burp cloths.

As luck would have it, I happened to come across this easy tutorial for sewing burp cloths on the Jones Design Company blog. And I thought, well heck, why not just make my own? It seemed easy enough.

So I started sewing.
I used some fabric that I had on hand (the blue floral from the baby's room, and the red plaid that I've had forever), and then I bought a couple 1/2 yards of fabric at Jo Ann's.
This one is made of linen on one side...
and a very soft jersey knit on the other (all of the burp cloths have the jersey knit on one side). The tutorial called for using a terry cloth or a chenille for the soft side, but the terry cloth I found at the store just wasn't all that soft, and I was afraid the chenille would be difficult to sew. This fabric was super soft and I figured would be easy to sew (which turned out to be true). I replicated the double-stitched border that was shown on the tutorial. I thought it made them just a little more interesting.These were super easy to make, and I was able to get 9 finished before running out of fabric. I'll probably make a few more after making another run to Jo Ann's. If I remember correctly, you can never have too many burp cloths.
I think they turned out pretty cute, and best of all, Avery's happy that her blankies are now safe and sound.

1 comment:

  1. those turned out really cute.. for someone who said she couldn't sew, you are really knocking them out of the park!

    ReplyDelete